Thursday, April 4, 2019

How to Pull Weeds

How to Pull Weeds

A few of my friends say that I am a little crazy due to the fact that I like doing backyard work. Although it is a lot like household chores (never ever completely completed), there is a lot of satisfaction in leaving a flower bed after having rid it of weeds and letting the plants that we really wish to see program through. Naturally, if it is refrained from doing on a constant basis, the weeds really do acquire the upper hand. Then, instead of caring yard work, I find myself wishing for an easy way to produce the result I wish for. As of yet, I have not discovered a weed killer that will discriminate between what I want and what I do not want, so I am the one who requires to make the judgment and take out the undesirable growth one by one.


As I operate in my flower beds, I often review the fact that Jesus gave many illustrations using seeds, trees, fruit, plants, sowing, pruning and gaining. As a result of the fall, the ground was cursed and work ended up being an effort instead of a happiness (Genesis 3:17 -19). There stays, however, the appeal of God's production all around us. If we are privileged sufficient to have the stewardship of a plot of earth in which we can sow and enjoy, then we partner with God in His garden enterprise.


In my garden, I have experienced a range of weeds. A few of them have a single root. If that weed is pulled out by the root, fantastic! If not, it will return. Others have complex root systems that make them beside impossible to take out. They need to be removed. In those cases, I keep in mind that the Lord said that He was going to leave the tares and the wheat to grow together, and do the weeding at the end of time (Matthew 13). In some cases I make a similar decision. I will handle those weeds again and again in order to save the good plants that are growing near to them.


The task of weeding advises me of sin. Possibly you, like me, have discovered that weeding, like ridding your life of sin, involves the following.


oWeeding is backbreaking work. If I do not remain alert and "prayed up," sin keeps returning. If I don't stay up to date with the weeding, the weeds overtake the garden. Watchfulness is the key!


oIt helps if the weeds can be brought up by the roots. If possible, it is best to stop sin at its source. For example, my nature is to panic and be afraid of unknown scenarios. That is the reverse of faith. When fear raises its ugly head in my life, I need to go back to the fundamentals: trusting God! As my partner states, "Worry and faith can not occupy the very same area."


oSometimes I need help. The task of weeding is a bit overwhelming sometimes, specifically given that my hubby and I take a trip much of the year. Sometimes my other half, a friend or a next-door neighbor will sit with me and help me pull out weeds. Likewise, an accountability partner can typically observe an area that is displeasing to God that I have overlooked.


oWeeding is much easier if the soil is soft or wet. If you ever tried to pull weeds in tough, dry soil, you know how difficult it can be. Likewise, it is simpler to get rid of sin when it is fresh and recognizable as sin. The longer sin is left to solidify in our lives, the harder it is to remove.


I started this short article by discussing how much I enjoy to see new development and flowers in my garden. That is how I wish to end it as well. Weeding, both in my garden and in my life, is well worth it.

As I observe the flowers in my garden, I am reminded that a garden is not just one flower. It is many flowers. You and I belong to a huge garden that God has actually planted.


Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment